There’s a lot of pressure on casino bosses when it comes to welcome bonuses. More often than not, the casino welcome bonus, also called a first deposit bonus, is the deciding factor when choosing where to play.
With so many options available to players in Canada, you may wonder what the best first deposit bonus for you is. That’s where Casino Select is on hand. Our expert team has combed through all the online casinos that legally accept players from Canada to bring you the top offers. All you have to do is compare – select – and sign up to claim one.
Finding the best first deposit bonuses
For new players seeking their first welcome bonus, it’s easy to be swayed by the larger monetary amount and think that those are the more generous bonuses. After all, 100% up to $500 sounds better than 100% up to $200.
However, the trick to finding the best first deposit bonus is to look through the terms and conditions. This will reveal the bonus’ actual value, and more importantly, the likelihood of you making a profit from it. We’ve already explored the terms of the first deposit bonus offers on our list, and although there are differences between them, each offer is fair and in-line with industry averages.
How they work
Most casino welcome bonuses are matched deposit offers. Besides loading up your account from the off, they are straight forward to claim, too. Their simplicity is most certainly an advantage for new players who are unfamiliar with how they work. For guidance, we’ve outlined the steps required to get your hands on a first deposit bonus of your own.
- Compare the casinos on our list and select a favourite.
- Use our quick links to take you to the casino’s bonus page.
- Create your account. If you have a bonus code, insert when prompted.
- Go to the cashier and make your first deposit.
- Once your account has real money funds, the casino releases your bonus.
- Enjoy your favourite games.
To come away with a profit from the bonus, you must clear the wagering requirements. See below for more details on what that means.
How wagering requirements work
With a first deposit bonus, the wagering requirements (also termed playthrough or rollover requirements) work in one of two ways. For some offers, the wagering requirement is based on the bonus amount only, whereas others use the deposit amount plus the bonus amount. This does make a big difference in the value of the bonus.
- 100% up to $200 – the wagering requirement is 40x bonus amount. You deposit to $200, and get $200 in bonus funds. Total wagering is 40 x $200 = $8,000.
- 100% up to $200 – the wagering requirement is 25x deposit + bonus amount. You deposit to $200, and get $200 in bonus funds. Total wagering is 25 x ($200 + $200) = $10,000.
At a glance, 25x appears more appealing than 40x, but when you look at the finer details, you can see that this isn’t the case. Now that you know what to look for, and how to calculate the total wagering, you’ll always get the best first deposit bonuses.
How we find the best welcome offers
Like everything, finding the best welcome offers is easy once you know what to look for. However, the best offer for you may not be the best offer for another player. This is why Casino Select provides a wide range of top-quality first deposit bonuses for you to choose between.
These are the factors that we consider when picking the best welcome bonuses for our website.
- Payment restrictions – For some deposit bonuses, there are restrictions on the payment methods you can use.; for instance, Paypal or Paysafe card deposits are ineligible. This is rarely an issue in Canada, unlike some other countries, but it’s still something we double-check.
- Minimum deposit – A minimum deposit amount will be required to activate the welcome offer. Typically, this is $10 – $20; however, we have seen bonuses requiring $50 or more. We assess the overall fairness of the minimum deposit with the value of the bonus.
- Total wagering requirement – As highlighted above, the total wagering amount is critical to the player. Our team pays close attention to this so that we only provide Canada’s top casino bonuses.
- Game weighting – When clearing wagering requirements, game weighting rules apply. Some games (mainly slots) contribute 100% towards the wagering, whereas others may not contribute at all.
- Expiry dates – How long the bonus is valid for is another thing we review. Certain offers may squeeze you to only a few days, and other bonuses allow up to one month.
- Maximum bet limits – A player can void a bonus by exceeding the casino’s betting limits while the offer is active. Don’t worry; we look into this as well.
All of the first deposit bonus offers promoted on Casino Select Canada are mobile-friendly, so it doesn’t matter which device you use, the offer is there waiting for you. Several sites also have native iOS and Android casino apps. You can also claim the welcome bonuses through these.
While it’s not essential to download a mobile casino app because the web-based platforms are device responsive, you do get a more personalized experience via an app. This includes push notifications for new bonus offers and other time-sensitive promotions.
We can put first deposit bonuses into four categories:
- Matched deposit
- Free spins
- Matched deposit plus
A good tip is to compare the offers at new online casinos. Quite often, these sites will push the boat with their welcome offers in an effort to attract your custom. If the terms are more friendly, why not take advantage of their generosity? We’ve compiled a list of new sites in Canada to help in your quest for the right bonus.